Sunday, June 16, 2013

DJ Research Challenges - In The Mood by DJ Superheidi

I've been a bit slow, but DJ Superheidi from Rotterdam sent me this awesome piece of research she did, and that's exactly the kind of research I wanted to trigger! Enjoy what she sent me:



It's about the notorious song: "In the Mood", hell yes! Maybe it's an old story to some, but it isn't to me. But this started with a musician. I wondered about the baritone sax player in Edgar Hayes Orchestra, as I really dig that low moaning sound. Heard a similar sound in the Blue Mills Rhythm Band. Finally looked it up last week and it turns out to be the same guy: Joe Garland. 

That's how I stumbled on the voyage of "In the Mood", a song that changed across the 1930s before it became a hit record by Miller's Orchestra. Joe Garland is credited for "In the Mood". A popular riff in Harlem before he wrote it down. 

I knew "Hot and Anxious by Fletcher Henderson. but not what came before: Wingy Manone's "Tar Paper Stomp" from 1930 recorded by Barbecue Joe and His Hot Dogs (1). Just after that came Horace Henderson's "Hot and Anxious", recorded by his brother Flechter in 1931 (2). But I really like the Don Redman version from 1932 (3), it's getting already closer to swing.
In 1935 the tune evolves and gets swinging in the Mills Blue Rhythm Band recording of "There's Rhythm In Harlem" (4). And in 1938 the Edgar Hayes Orchestra records (with Joe Garland playing) as "In the Mood" (5).

Garland offered the tune to Artie Shaw who didn't record it because of long arrangements (>8 minutes). But he did play it live in the Blue Room in 1938 over 6 minutes and it was broadcasted live (6). But there is a shorter and faster version from around 3 minutes. Must be from the same period but I don't know if this short version was before or after Miller's recording from 1939. And remarkably it is announced as "an original composition by Artie Shaw" (7).

Finally the song was sold to Glenn Miller and in 1940 it became a hit record. Some state it was chopped down and rearranged and recorded in 1939, but some say it's nonsense as Edgar Hayes' version is already shorter. So I'm a slightly curious from when exactly the shorter Shaw version is. (will see if there's anything on the liner notes of the CD sleeve in the library).
Had to finisch with Mora's Modern Rhythmists version of "Tar Paper Stomp" from 2000 (9) for a nice round-up. 

The much loved and hated Glenn Miller hit will always be around. Even if it seems forbidden territory for swing DJ's. but play it (locally?) and people do rush to the floor. Maybe because it's good, maybe because it holds memories for many of us, it may have been the first swing song they heard. And it just sticks in your head after the first time. Now I think I have to add it as well (8).

A few days later she sent me this addition:
Miller's recording is from August 1st, 1939. The shorter Artie Shaw live recording is from December 18, 1938. So it came before Miller's hit.

Want to listen to this music? - check it out on 8Track!
You like this completed research challenge? Thumbs up and +1 it!

You completed one of the challenges? Send it to me and I'll publish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment